Friday, September 04, 2009

Friday 4 September 2009

1st Friday of the Month in Kansas City

Click on the slideshow here for more detailed descriptions of each photo.


As we got up today, the weather was dreary. Our early fall is setting in with rain and cooler temperatures. I spent most of the day getting ready for our job tomorrow. That entails putting all the equipment together in the basement and making sure I have all the right parts to make it work. It is a task that usually tries my patience tremendously, especially when I cannot find all the adaptors I need, though I know I have them somewhere, so I have to go out yet again to the store to buy them. So I spent the afternoon at Wife's Enemy #3, otherwise known at Microcenter. I couldn't find what I really wanted there either, so I guess I'll make do with what I have. I got duct tape at Home Despot. The real brand name schtuff is something Home Despot is really proud of (almost $7.00 for a teeny tiny roll) so I found some off brand schtuff hidden in a checkout counter. I got Suyen for a luchbreak at Oklahoma Jooooooeeeezzzz mmmm. The line was out the door as always. Man, they need to get a bigger gas station. Afterward, Tima and I went to the crossroads for 1st Friday. If you want to see people or to be seen by people, then the 1st Friday artwalk is great. If you want to see art, then pick another day. The crowds are too big and people are usually too inconsiderate to let you actually look at the artwork as their socializing in front of what you want to look at is more important. My suggestion is to go during the day and to see the art in whatever galleries are open. I've done this quite a few times and enjoyed it. A lot of galleries are never open except on first Fridays. They are really not worth my time. I don't understand why people in this area have to make one special day a month to go out on the streets and socialize. We don't need 1st Friday's or art as an excuse to do this. Every weekend evening should be a 1st Friday. One of the things that many people say to me, including my wife when she first went downtown, is that Kansas City always seems desolate and abandoned. I tell them that is because people are all in their cars or hibernating at home. How boring. Then, when people do go out around here it seems, they want to drink and boorishly make asses out of themselves, which is fun for only a very few, and leaves the rest of us out.

No comments: