Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thursday 11 May 2006

11:22 -- Yesterday I had a brainfreeze and decided to post this on my Youtube videos:

Hello all,

First of all, I want to say thanks to all of you for watching and appreciating my video. Secondly, I want to say thanks to YouTube for featuring one of my videos yet again. Third, as I watch the counter go crazy on how many people have watched the video I realized how powerful this medium of internet television has become. I feel though, that I've sort of squandered an opportunity here. Let me explain. My mother in law has started a school on Bantayan Island for children of poor fishermen and farmers. Last year when we visited, we did a little video on it. Here is the link for that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Q3QVWCbVA3c

I realized that what she is doing is a great thing. I've read many comments from Pinoy ex-patriots on how much they miss the Philippines, and even some comments on how the system there is, uh, shall we say, somewhat broken. I will not add to those comments as I do not want to put myself in a position of being a judge. Even though I am married to a very lovely smart sweet Filipina, I am still an outsider when it comes to the ways and customs of another land. I will say, however, that what Amelita Paradela is doing at the Villacarlos Academy is a great thing, and worthy of attention and respect. The school, however, as many in the Philippines is in need of support. Many of the poor villagers in the area cannot afford to send their children to school, and when they can, many of them cannot afford to send them beyond a high school education. So what I'm getting at is this, If I can get 50000 people to watch one of my videos in two days and miss their homeland and/or wish they could go for a visit, then maybe if a fraction of those would send just a little donation to the academy, well, you know how far a little money goes in the Philippines. To you it may be a cup of coffee for the day, but for a student wishing to expand his/her horizons beyond being a fisherman or a Jeepney driver, it could be a future. I don't have anything set up right now, but please email me at studestevo@yahoo.com or post a comment on http://compostelainternetxtrem e.blogspot.com/ which is my brother-in-law's blog page to let me know.

Thanks again everybody

Stevo


So far there seems to be no takers. If anything my bulk mail folder has been filled with more scam emails. I'm hoping that if I can get some attention like this, that I could use it for some good.

No comments: